The Pilot cars followed the Prototypes in the build sequence. They were basically test vehicles for the assembly line. Ford wanted to see what if any changes to the car or assembly line might be necessary due to their extended length.
There were only 5 Pilot cars built that we know of. Unfortunately, only 1 is known to still exist but that one is in good hands and is being restored. Please note that the VIN on all of these cars is in sequence.
1969 Talladega Pilot Cars:
1. 9A46Q185753 / White / Unknown
2. 9A46Q185754 / White / Unknown
3. 9A46Q185755 / White / Unknown
4. 9A46Q185756 / White / Unknown
5. 9A46Q185757 / White / Currently being restored by Rick “Guru” Ochs. MI
1969 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Pilot Cars:
There is no current information regarding Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Pilot Cars.